Text: We Believe
Celebration of Feasts: (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week, Easter, & Epiphany)
- God as a loving Father and Creator
- Jesus as Savior and Son of God
- Holy Spirit as Paraclete and Counsellor
- Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Eucharist, & Reconciliation) and the other four sacraments.
- Church as people of faith who form a loving community
- Morality as taking care of and sharing God’s gift of creation
- Bible as a special book about God's love for us
- Prayers – formal prayers (Hail Mary, Our Father, Glory be to the Father), Eucharistic Liturgy ( Mass), and spontaneous prayers
HANDWRITING / MANUSCRIPT:
- Honoring Saints as special celebrations, such as St. Francis of Assisi, Guardian Angels, St. Nicholas, St. Lawrence O'Toole, St. Patrick, St. Joseph and special feasts of Mary.
Children learn proper formation of letters using journals, reading logs, workbooks, and homework notebooks. Also they are encouraged to use proper penmanship in their creative writing.
READING / LITERATURE / LANGUAGE ARTS:
Text: Houghton Mifflin Reading and other Literature Books
- Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding and Word Recognition
- Vocabulary and Concept Development
- Reading Comprehension
- Literary Response and Analysis
- Listening and Speaking
- Leaders and Rules
- Weather and Seasons
- Cities, Towns and Suburbs
- Our Country
- Map Skills
- Learning about the Past
- Heroes and Symbols of our Country
- Children will be competent in many movement activities.
- Children will achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Children will demonstrate responsible personal behavior while participating in movement activities
- Children integrate technology in all curriculum areas.
- Children log into network with assistance.
- Children type in a word processing program.
- Physical Science: Materials come in different forms (states), including solids, liquids, and gases.
- Earth Science: Weather can be observed, measured and described.
- Life Science: Plants and animals meet their needs in different ways.
- Investigation and Experimentation: Draw pictures and record observations.
- Number Sense
- Classification, Patterns and Numbers
- Understanding Addition and Subtraction
- Measurement and Geometry
- Time and Money
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Greetings, Polite Words, and Introductions
FIELD TRIPS: (integrated into academic units)
- Pumpkin Patch
- Service Project- Mercy Center
- Chabot Science Center
- Christ the Light Cathedral
- Junior Center of Art and Science
- Oakland Zoo